About Facility Management
Facilities management essentially means the management of services and processes that support the core business of an organisation.
Facilities management is all about ensuring that best practices are followed for achieving maximum efficiencies, as well as attaining the most suitable working environment for a company’s employees and their activities.
The field is very diverse, bringing together areas of responsibility that include building and grounds maintenance, cleaning, catering and vending, health and safety, procurement and contract management, security, and utilities and communications infrastructure.
The International Organization for Standardization defines FM as the “organizational function which integrates people, place and process within the built environment with the purpose of improving the quality of life of people and the productivity of the core business.”
Even though FMs don’t always have similar titles, they share common roles within their respective organizations, including:
- People management
- Working with suppliers and specialists
- Property portfolio management
- Building fabric maintenance
- Managing building services
- Managing support services
- Project management
- Customer service
- Environmental issues
- Space management
- Risk management
- Financial management
- Quality management
- Information management
Responsibilities of a facilities manager
Facilities managers essentially look after all the services that helps a business or other organisation do its work. Responsibilities can include:
Book your stand
Download the Sales Brochure
- overseeing and agreeing contracts and providers for services including security, parking, cleaning, catering, technology and so on
- supervising multi-disciplinary teams of staff including cleaning, maintenance, grounds and security
- ensuring that basic facilities, such as water and heating, are well-maintained
- managing budgets and ensuring cost-effectiveness
- allocating and managing space between buildings
- ensuring that facilities meet government regulations and environmental, health and security standards
- advising businesses on increasing energy efficiency and cost-effectiveness
- overseeing building projects, renovations or refurbishments
- helping businesses to relocate to new offices and to make decisions about leasing
- drafting reports and making written recommendations
Leading trade show organiser. Connecting the dots between buyers and sellers for over 50 years.
When it comes to building a strong, resilient and successful business, every little aspect counts. While marketers value the powerful opportunity trade shows provide for onsite sales, valuable sales leads and increased brand awareness, they also know the importance of selecting the right show and the right show organiser to bring everything together.
With a proud heritage spanning 50 years, Specialised Exhibitions Montgomery remains the marketer’s first choice time and again. Our continued success lies in our ability to look ahead, to embrace change and to move forward. It's in our culture, our DNA, to create a vibrant, energetic and innovative environment that instils confidence in exhibitors and keeps us at the forefront of our industry.
The largest trade show organiser in Southern Africa, we offer a vast portfolio of world-class shows across a broad spectrum of industries and deliver a good return on investment for exhibitors.
Specialised Exhibitions Montgomery is owned by the prestigious Montgomery Group, one of the most widely respected exhibition companies in the world with trade shows, consumer shows and specialist projects in Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. Speak to us today and get your business part of the big picture.